Sony confirmed that the 24th James Bond movie is scheduled to be released in 2014. It’s interesting that they chose to make the announcement before the 23rd (Skyfall) has even hit theatres in fall 2012.
The 24th movie will also be the first “optional” movie for Daniel Craig. That means once he has fulfilled his three movie contract (Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace, Skyfall) he can refuse the fourth. And I think he should. No offense to Daniel Craig, because he is a very good action star and actor. And he isn’t by far the worst choice for the iconic role. That honor goes to Timothy Dalton. However, Daniel Craig just wasn’t ever believable as 007 to me. As a result, I’d lost interest in the franchise.
After the new movie announcement, I have a renewed sense of hope. With the right fit, my interest and possibly others can be resurrected. I just so happen to have compiled a list of suggestions (in alphabetical order). Incidentally, I found out after I put my list together that four of my five picks had previously been considered by the producers. That’s a little surprising to me since it was Craig that came out on top in the last round.
1) Eric Bana – he’s versatile, attractive and he already has an accent. Yes I know he is Australian, as was George Lazenby (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service). He was previously considered (2004), but it didn’t come together for unknown reasons.
2) Henry Cavill – he’s done stage, is an awesome actor and is extremely easy on the eye! Deemed too young in the last round (2005), it’s just a matter of time before he slips into the legendary tuxedo.
3) Alex O’Loughlin – another Australian actor, Alex O’Loughlin already does a lot of action in Hawaii Five-O. It would be a smooth transition into a suit for this handsome guy. He was previously considered, but Daniel Craig was chosen instead. Huh?
4) Clive Owen – originally from England, so the British accent is covered. Plus there is something very cool and suave about him. He was also considered in 2005, but contract points killed the deal.
5) Karl Urban – terrific actor, attractive and he wears a suit as well as he wears armor. I think this New Zealander would give 007 a great edge!
There needs to be less focus on the origin of the lead and more focus on the actor himself. Scottish, Sean Connery and Irish, Pierce Brosnan were the best leading men for the role to date, period.
Who would you pick to carry on the legacy of James Bond?